Wednesday, December 5, 2007

35 weeks

Well, yesterday we reached the 35 week milestone, and are relieved to have done so, after last week's little adventure. I had an appointment with Dr. Mc today, which went well. I was excited to hear that something actually is going on now, and I was a whole 1 cm dilated ;-) and 50% effaced, though Elijah is still up pretty high. I asked about his thoughts on Elijah coming early, since Abi came a month before her due date, and he said there really is no way to know if he will or not. He asked how big she was, and I reminded him she was a good size to be 4 weeks early, at 6 pounds 13 ounces. He said, "Well, I'm betting Elijah left 6# 13 in the dust a long time ago." That was after measuring me (which showed 38 weeks), and based on past ultrasounds and the size Elijah feels to him, and he said he really wouldn't be worried if E. was born soon, guessing he could be around 7 1/2 pounds already. I feel the same way - though we don't really know how big he is for sure, or when he'll come, I do think we've reached a great point where I'm comfortable with him arriving whenever he's ready and God decides so.

Because of the continued spotting off and on since last Friday, and the fact that we're just not sure exactly where that annoying placenta has settled, we're going to do an ultrasound before next week's appointment to get the latest information on it. Though he is not unduly concerned, Dr. Mc said he'd feel more comfortable with knowing a little more recent update on it, since it was still so close to the cervix last time. He said that at this point, when I go into labor, he is concerned that I get to the hospital quickly, because if it's still just over a centimeter removed from the os of the cervix, there could be significant bleeding, combined with how Elijah presents and that affects things. With all the Braxton-Hicks contractions I've had lately, he said to expect continued spotting, and not to be alarmed, because it's just probably how it's going to be as E. grows and puts more pressure on the placenta, and it is actually shearing away from the lining of the uterus little bits at a time. (Doesn't that sound lovely?)

As he left, he said he'd be on call this weekend, so I told him I appreciated knowing that, and I'd go ahead and plan on seeing him then if I had my way about it. :-) Overall, it was encouraging and again a great reminder of how blessed I am to have such excellent care and concern from this wise man. He asks about the kids and James by name almost every time I see him, and though that's not really even something I'd think about if he didn't, it means so much to me that he does seem to care for our family's well-being, and not just me as another patient he sees during long work days.

To close, here are some sweet and sappy photos we took this week. I really wanted a few of me pregnant with this baby boy, and of our family of 4, before he arrives. This whole process - the 2 years of waiting to get pregnant again, and now the end of that pregnancy nearing brings bittersweet emotions, because it has been such a huge blessing and answer to prayer. At one point while I was holding this little word "hope" carved from wood, I just lost it and started crying. Poor James probably thought my hormones were to blame, and they may have factored in some. Mainly though, I was really overwhelmed thinking about how this baby is almost here that we prayed and longed for, and at times doubted we'd ever have. Holding that word in my hands, and remembering how I would sing and cry through "My Hope is in You" for so long, and realizing that hope is almost fulfilled is a pretty amazing thing. God is awesome, you know? Thanks for sharing this journey with us. I hope you're encouraged by my ramblings and details of things you may not really care about, if only because they point back to a God who answered our prayers in a beautiful way, and comforted us while we were waiting on that answer. I feel so undeserving and so grateful.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh dear, I am crying and just love these -how very beautiful, Jenn. You look radiant!!!! My fav is you in the black outfit, but the one with you holding the word "Hope" is pretty precious, too. You are quite the photographer- do share what kind of camera you bought:)

Love you to the moon & back,
Frodo

Ronda said...

Those are so precious! You do look beautiful! I'm also very thankful for your doctor. We are praying for you and this precious boy! Love ya!